It’s no surprise as temperatures reach the thirties in Kitchener-Waterloo, that it can be very costly to keep your home cool and comfortable all summer. The best way to ensure you’re getting the best price on your energy bills each month is to keep your air conditioner running as efficiently as possible. Here’s how to know if your AC is working efficiently, and what to do if you suspect it isn’t.
Signs of an Efficient Air Conditioner
Firstly, it’s important to understand what makes an air conditioner efficient. Of course, primarily your AC’s SEER (seasonal energy efficiency ratio) rating. Generally, the higher the SEER rating, the more energy-efficient an air conditioner is. However, in order to see if your AC is working efficiently, look out for these signs:
- Low monthly energy bills
- “Young” air conditioner (younger than ten years of age)
- Consistent cooling with no hot spots
- No odd smells coming from the system
- Inside unit clean of dust, fresh air filter
- Outdoor unit clean of twigs, leaves, dirt, and other natural debris
Signs Your AC is in Need of Maintenance
If you suspect that your AC is not working efficiently, this is not the end of the world. In most cases, an air conditioner that’s down on its efficiency is just in need of a maintenance appointment or some general repair. An air conditioner that is not working efficiently and may be in need of maintenance will exhibit these signs:
- Increase in monthly energy bills
- Inconsistent or inadequate cooling
- Loud or unfamiliar noises such as buzzing, banging, or hissing
- Odd smells coming from the system like mildew, fish, or other unpleasant odours
- Water leaking from your AC
- More humidity than usual in your home
Time to book AC maintenance?
Contact Delta to book an appointment today!
Delta Air Systems Ltd. has been serving the HVAC needs of the Kitchener-Waterloo, Cambridge, and Guelph regions for over 65 years. We are committed to providing our clients with reliable service and quality equipment.