Top Tips to Improve Your Indoor Air Quality
Your home is your sanctuary; it’s where you spend your time relaxing and letting go of stress after a long day. It’s also the place you depend on to be most comfortable, which is why your home’s indoor air quality is so important.
Indoor air quality refers to the air within your home as it relates to the health, comfort and safety of you and everyone else that resides there. A significant amount of time is spent indoors and breathing in the air that continuously circulates within your home, so it’s important to maintain good quality air in order to ensure that you aren’t breathing in contaminants like dust and other allergens and bacteria.
Maintaining good, clean indoor air quality is quite doable, and we’ve compiled a few tips to help you do so.
- Vacuum often– preferably with one outfitted with a HEPA filter. A HEPA filter is a mechanical air filter with a fine mesh which air is forced through that traps harmful particles and air pollutants.
- Mop/wipe surfaces after you vacuum. Mopping wipes away a lot of the bad particles that vacuuming leaves behind. When you combine vacuuming and wiping down surfaces, you are removing a significant amount of contaminants within your home and drastically improving indoor air quality.
- Try to keep windows and doors closed. Along with keeping air pollutants out, you can also make an effort to avoid tracking in germs by removing shoes at the door.
- Make sure your vents and ducts are clean within your home. A proper cleaning and check up should be done for your home comfort systems every year to ensure that they are working properly and aren’t clogged up and decreasing your indoor air quality due to dirty air filters.
- Clean your air filters! It’s an easy step that can make a world of difference for your indoor air quality once your filters have been washed with warm, soapy water.
Ensuring that your home maintains proper indoor air quality is a big responsibility. Delta Air Systems understands, and is happy to offer any feedback, advice, or service when you contact us to help you keep a clean, comfortable home.
Remember, improving indoor air quality begins with eliminating the indoor sources of contaminated air, ventilating your home, and maintaining system cleanliness!